Are all WANTS inappropriate or outside of God’s will? NO! He wants us to use wisdom in this area of our lives! Allow me to show you some guidelines of how the way of wisdom works in determining what is a WANT.
WANTS: How Do I Determine Them?
- Does this item/service increase my debt?
- Does it increase my stress level?
- Does it contribute to my physical, emotional, intellectual or spiritual well-being?
- Does it diminish my Grace-giving?
- Does this prevent/diminish my laying up treasures in heaven?
NEEDS: How Do I Determine Them?
Will the absence of this purchase/service/item result in physical, emotional, intellectual or spiritual harm or deprivation?
– Is Food a NEED or a WANT?
– Is Shelter a NEED or a WANT?
– Is Clothing a NEED or a WANT?
– Do you see how determining a Need vs. Want is so closely related?
For Example: Shoes. I can buy a $20 pair of shoes or I can go buy a $120 pair of shoes. I am NOT saying we all should ONLY buy $20 pair of shoes, but I AM saying that if buying a $120 pair of shoes is going to diminish my Grace-giving or bring me harm in some way such as debt, then I need to buy the cheaper pair.